How to wear a face mask properly is critical to how effective it will and disposing of the mask after use is equally as important.
- The first thing to remember is that you must wash your hands before putting on the mask and after you take off the mask.
- Cover your nose and your mouth with the mask. Try to ensure that it fits snugly and that there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
- If you have purchased a disposable mask you might be wondering which side is meant to be on the outside. The general rule is that the coloured side or the side with the boldest colour goes on the outside.
- Try not to touch the mask while using it.
- When removing the mask, remove it by the ear loops do not touch the front of the mask.
- You should dispose of the mask after use by throwing it into a closed bin and then wash your hands with soap or rub your hands with an alcohol-based sanitizer.
- If you have a re-usable cloth mask then you should wash it at least once a day at a temperature of 60 degrees or more. The virus may stay active on fabric for a long period of time, which makes it necessary to wash your mask after any of your trips. If you need to go out again use a fresh mask.
Further guidance is available at:
Published: Jul 30, 2020